85. Tapware Specification - Spout, Outlet and Faucet

Kitchen Mixers

Confusingly, the term “kitchen mixer” refers to both the mixer tap and the faucet (normally the term mixer refers to only the tap part). A kitchen mixer therefore is always integrated. They swivel to allow water to be delivered to different sink compartments. Kitchen Mixers are often the tap of choice for kitchen sinks as they allow easy control of water flow and temperature control with the back of a dirty hand.

Spray Mixers

Like the kitchen mixer, but instead has a larger head that allows different spray settings for applications such as washing vegetables. They tend to be more conspicuous and less design-conscious than a standard kitchen mixer.

Basin Mixers

A more compact version of the kitchen mixer, it is designed for bathroom vanities. They are fixed and don’t not swivel.


The gooseneck/90o faucets are the most popular in contemporary settings according to our contemporary residential designers in the Northern Beaches. They have high 180o/90o arcs respectively that gives them high clearance for washing/filling large pots. For this reason, they are also appropriate for laundry tubs. They are designed to swivel and can have an integrated mixer (to make them easy to turn on with dirty hands), or else separate tap assemblies for a more traditional look.

Pillar Taps

Pillar taps have a faucet attached to separate tap assemblies. They are usually used in older laundries but are rarely recommended because of the impracticality of hot and cold water coming out of separate faucets. It is not possible to achieve warm water out of the tap, only when cold and hot are mixed in the sink/tub. Because of this there is increased burn risk. They do have their place in very traditional or heritage settings.

Wall Spout

Wall spouts can be used for bathroom vanities and bathtubs. They are also appropriate for laundry tubs if a swivel feature is incorporated to prevent from obstructing bulky tasks. They can be paired with a separate wall-mounted mixer or wall-mounted tap assemblies, or are considered integrated if the mixer/taps are placed on the same plate as the spout. In this latter setup, a diverter can also feature on the same plate for the purpose of diverting bath flow to a shower head.

Overhead (Shower)

An overhead shower is a large surface shower head that is designed to be directly above the user so the water spray is directly downward. They are also known as rainwater heads which has an incorrect connotation of a weak flow. They are either mounted to the wall via a long arm or part of a single/twin rail assembly.

Rose & Arm (Shower)

These wall-mounted shower heads have a more traditional look. Unlike the overhead shower, they are not positioned directly above but are usually more in front with the head directed outward from the wall toward the user. The more contemporary roses will feature multi-spray settings.

Ceiling Flushmount (Shower)

The ceiling flushmount is a luxury fitting that allows a very clean look. The showerhead is flush with the ceiling and water comes directly downward from above like an overhead shower. They are more expensive to purchase and install and are not always compatible with the architecture.

Hand Shower

A hand shower is a shower head with a flexible hose that can be moved around freely. It hangs on the wall high so that it can be used to the same effect as a rose & arm. They are useful for washing children or dogs as well as handy for the elderly that often sit in the shower.

Single Rail (Shower)

The “single” term in a single rail shower refers not to the quantity of rails but the quantity of showerheads. A single rail shower most commonly features a hand shower attachment but occasionally has an overhead shower. The only benefit of the rail in a single rail format is that the height of the hand shower can be adjusted when attached to the clip.

Back to Resources